How to choose the right Weighted Blanket
Parents of autistic kids are often advised by doctors or occupational therapists to use weighted blankets. In general, weighted blankets, weighted vests, weighted lap pads and similar tools have aided occupational therapists in the treatment process of autism. Weighted blankets are sewn with small, evenly distributed pockets that contain pellets which add weight and provide a firm but gentle pressure to the whole body.
Although weighted blankets are more commonly used for those with autism and sensory processing disorder, they may also help those with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), anxiety, insomnia and other conditions. Weighted blankets are a great way to experience the benefits of deep touch pressure therapy at home.
Benefits of Weighted Blankets
There are a number of ways in which a weighted blanket helps children with autism. Here are some of them:
- Improve Sleep: Research has shown that weighted blankets boost levels of serotonin in the body. Serotonin is a natural chemical that helps regulate sleep.
- Reduces Anxiety: Weighted blankets may also help reduce anxiety in people with autism. Studies have shown that weighted products reduce stress on the nervous system.
- Improves Focus: Studies have also shown that deep touch pressure therapy can help children with autism and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder stay focused on activities in school or at home. It can improve concentration levels and higher rates of task completion.
- Reduces Meltdowns: Children with autism can feel calm, relaxed and more secure during a meltdown when they are given a weighted blanket.
How to choose a good Weighted Blanket
Weighted blankets have gained popularity in the recent years, thanks to their results in treatment of children with autism and other special needs. If you’re looking for an autism weighted blanket for your child, you should look for a high-quality product which delivers the benefits of deep touch pressure stimulation. Look for these features before buying the right weighted blanket for you:
- Find out about the Fabric: When buying a weighted blanket, find out what kind of fabric and materials are used while making it. A good quality weighted blanket is made up of high quality cotton that is durable, breathable and machine-washable. The weighted blanket at Help Them Shine is made from 100% high quality soft cotton and is double stitched for strength and maximum durability. Other fabrics can be custom ordered.
- Breathability: A weighted blanket will most likely be used during when the child is sleeping. Therefore, it is very important that the blanket uses the right material. Ideally, it should be weighted with PET pellets which have no BPA, Phthalates or lead and should be Non-Toxic and mold and mildew resistant.
- Machine-Wash: There is every chance that little kids with special needs are going to spoil the blanket by spilling food or drink on it. A machine washable weighted blanket can ensure that it is easily cleaned and dried at home.
- Other Features: It is nice to have options. You can find optional features like different fabric, size etc. can be customized with the blanket available at Help Them Shine. It used “Pocketed Construction” technique which keeps the pellets evenly distributed in their chambers, providing optimal weight coverage over the user. They also come with special tabs on blankets to secure optional duvet covers.