How families should deal with children with special needs?
The world is wide and everyone is different in some or the other way. However, unfortunately but inevitably some are more different than the others. They are not able to live like other persons who are called ‘normal’ when compared to these people who are unable to communicate normally. A large part of this differently abled population consists of children. A lot of children fail to live their life normally. Autism, asperger syndrome, Down syndrome and other communication disorders like these get hold of these children at a very young age. These children with special needs are often isolated from the rest of the world assuming that they are abnormal. But this is not the ideal way. The people around these children should be very careful while dealing with these children. There are some things which need to be kept in mind by the family of these children.
- The family should understand well how to deal with these children in terms of love and attention. The love should be balanced between these children and other children of the family. These children have some communication problems but that doesn’t mean they can’t feel. They should be lobed equally as other children and any negativity against them by the members should be avoided.
- Parents should make it sure that they are allocating proper time to their children. In the contemporary world when mostly both parents are working, there is a need for proper coordination among parents to take care of their special kid. Gender stereotypes should be ignored when it comes to the welfare of their children.
- The family should expertise on the problem their children is suffering from. They should know how this disorder affects the child during different times. The members of the family should know well which things affect the child positively and which acts irritate him. The child’s comfort level should be known by parents and other members of the family.
- Accept your child the way they are. Comparison can be negative even for your normal child, and in case of children with special needs, you need to be more careful. Celebrate and praise your child’s small successes and encourage him. Your attitude towards your child is of great importance.
- Don’t assume about your child’s future. Disappointments hinder growth and therefore you shouldn’t assume that your child will be forever like that. With time and right care his senses and abilities will be better.
These are some of the simple but very important points the family members of children suffering from communication problems should keep in mind. This can make or break your child’s abilities. Right attitude and care towards your child can do wonders which even medication fails to do sometimes.